I stopped then to figure out a color scheme I liked, and this took me a while this time. I don't know why...I just couldn't get excited about anything until I came up with the yellow-and-purple one.
I've been at work on the painting ever since. I started by doing the panel/wall area on the left, just to have it done and "established" in the picture area. then I went to the lower right area.
For the past several days, I've been working out the architectural elements in the upper and middle background. What a bear that's been! I'm doing that area all in white, gray and black. I will spray a purple glaze over to ensure maximum luminosity in the color of that area while retaining the full detail and articulation of the various complicated parts there.
Then I will paint the lead character, who is pretty much front and center. I'm asking my daughter Alexa to pose for the portrait.